I love the idea of Valentine’s Day. Expressing how you feel about others is a lovely concept. But somewhere along the way, the occasion has become fraught – and not in a good way. My single friends find it lonely and friends in relationships find it weighted with obligation. Where’s the love?
This year Step Up is joining Sasha Dichter’s Valentine’s Day experiment in generosity. The idea is simple: reclaim Valentine’s Day and imbue it with true love – the kind where you give without expectation. Generosity Day is when you seek to be selfless and see what happens when generosity becomes your default.
So this Valentine’s Day do something big or something small. You could choose to begin the day with a simple act of kindness. You could be wildly generous all day long. Give of your money, your time, your talent, your love, or anything special that is unique to you.
Here are 10 great Generosity Day ideas:
- Buy coffee for a stranger
- Make dinner for a friend in need
- Make a Tribute Gift to Step Up in honor of a special loved one.
- Write a letter to someone who touched your life.
- Tell a friend why they’re wonderful.
- Smile at everyone on the street.
- Make a heartfelt pledge to End Stigma now!
- Take clothes from your closet and donate them to Step Up.
- Introduce yourself to someone you see everyday, but have never greeted.
- Give someone a compliment.
You have the biggest heart! Whatever you choose, the goal is to spend Valentine’s Day being more generous, giving more money, sharing of yourself, being of service. So let’s make this February 14th a day to open our hearts and share our generosity. What better way to spend Valentine’s Day?
PS: Select Step Up on Second as your charity of choice at www.smile.amazon.com. When you do your Valentine’s shopping, 5% of the cost of eligible purchases will automatically be donated to Step Up on Second!